How to choose a class:
● Class levels are only guidelines. These guidelines are meant to ensure everyone
is safely progressed deeper into the work. An advanced class will find challenge in the fundamentals and a beginner might be able to complete an advanced exercise. The goal is to progress your understanding of your own body and your voluntary control over which muscles primarily complete the exercise.
● You are the expert on you. The teacher is there to guide you through movement. Some weeks you’ll do things you never thought possible and others will challenge you on basics you’ve mastered. This is normal. Give yourself a break and work to the level your energy permits you that day.
When attending class:
● Please show up on time. We have 55 minutes to move. The first five minutes are critical to finding your headspace, setting up your equipment, and checking into your energy level to decide the following fifty minutes.
● Please shut the world out for an hour. Set your phone to “Do Not Disturb” and place all personal items in the closet. Let’s get out of each other’s way and focus.
● Please wear appropriate movement clothing. This means tight shorts or briefs under loose shorts and form-fitting single layer options for all. The teacher needs to be able to see your body in motion, not your clothes, but we all appreciate if you stay covered in general.
● If you feel pain, stop immediately. Push to, but never through. If you experience
pain, something is wrong. Challenge your control, not your tolerance. Often, there
will be a modification or assist for any exercise. Please speak up!
● Please note that you will be referred to a licensed healthcare practitioner for any questions outside the scope of safely participating in Pilates.
The advantages of personal sessions:
Even taking a single private, one to one, Pilates session with a teacher's full attention can have multiple advantages to group class:
● Unique to you. Maybe you'd like visual demonstration as a more visual learner? Or there's something you need to workshop through connected to a personal goal. These, and more, are good reasons to go one on one.
● Deliberate practice. The greatest gains are made with deliberate practice, this is when we are paying attention to the details and the feel. One to one, there's less to distract you from you.
● Comprehensive explanations. Perhaps you want to know the WHY in each exercise choice? It is easier to commit to practice when we understand how these movements support your everyday life and what these skills transfer to doing.